Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Summer in my bones.

Hello, blog. Long time no see. It would seem that I'm not any longer being affected by the depressive episode I was having earlier this year, and it couldn't have come at a better time.

Summer is here! I've always had some rather strong emotions tied to the summer season, and I love it. It makes me long for times past. Like, really past. Like ancient past. The sun starts beaming hard and you can feel it beating under your skin, through your muscles and into your bones. It's a primal thing. I have a certain fondness for heat as well, and not just like comfortable heat. Awful, oppressive, glaring heat that makes you sweat and makes the power lines buzz. That constant summer drone of electricity in the air. Of course that kind of heat is miserable when you're in the thick of it, but I always look back on it fondly. Even the next morning, before the sun reaches it's sniper post in the sky and starts pumping the water from your skin, I like to take a little time and appreciate yesterday.

There's a twinge of sadness to it as well. The longest day of the year has already come and gone. A solemn reminder that all good things must come to an end eventually. Fall will come, though not for a while now, then winter and so on. That is the way of things. There will be droughts, hurricanes, floods, and storms. Then we rebuild while nature regrows. That is a beautiful symbiosis, a reminder that no matter how tall or how wide we build our cities, we can never escape being a part of the world around us. Hopefully an active part at that.

So until I'm red and in pain at even the thought of moving, I'm gonna try to enjoy the sun as much as I can. Bring it on. Try to beat me down with your sweltering fists. I'll just ask for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment